Monday, June 24, 2013

Homemade Deodorant Recipe

Aluminum-free deodorant that actually works!

This recipe is easy to make, inexpensive and works just as good (or better than) commercial brands and it doesn't stain your clothes! Did I mention that is smells delicious? Oh, how i wish my photos were scratch and sniff. You'll just have to make your own batch to see how heavenly the scent of coconut oil is when mixed with spicy essential oils.

Ingredients

  • 1/3 cup coconut oil (solid state)
  • 1/4 cup baking soda (aluminum-free)
  • 1/4 cup arrowroot powder
  • essential oils (optional)

Instructions

Mix the baking soda and arrowroot powder in a glass bowl.

Add the coconut oil (do not warm or melt it) and use a fork or pastry blender to thoroughly blend it into the dry ingredients.


Add 5-10 drops of your favorite essential oils and blend completely. (this step is optional, but lovely - my personal favorite combo is clove with a little sweet orange and cinnamon!)

Add more coconut oil or arrowroot powder/baking soda if needed until the texture is about the same consistency as commercial deodorant.

Scoop the mixture into a small jar or container and store at room temperature. (Refrigeration may be required during summer months and warmer weather because the coconut oil will melt at 76 degrees.)

To apply, use your fingers to scoop out a pea-size amount of the deodorant and massage it into your armpits daily or as needed. Allow a minute or two for the deodorant to set before getting dressed.

*Remember, this is deodorant, not antiperspirant. It will not stop you from sweating, but you won't smell bad!
Originally Posted On: http://www.squidoo.com/homemade-deodorant-recipes

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for the great recipe. I will have to gather the ingredients and try to make my own. I would like to share an excellent all natural, aluminum free deodorant (I’ve been using for almost 8 months). I’ve tried the salt crystal, Tom’s, etc.. but they seem to work only for so long. However, I have experienced nothing but success with Nutural. After wearing this deodorant all day, and completing a 3 hour session of Tai Chi, Yoga and Pilates before dinner, there is still NO! stink and no stains on my clothes. I love it.
    nuturalife (dot) com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing! As a daughter of a breast cancer survivor I must be extra careful especially with commercial deodorants. I am currently using a wash of dried white sage soaked in witch hazel. I will make this as soon as I find out where to buy the ingredients. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

Sharing Is Caring

Blog Archive